Misalignment issues with our teeth and jaws are called malocclusions. The exact cause of a malocclusion can be as varied as the types of alignments issues that can plague our mouths. Despite all the varied challenges posed by the misalignments of our teeth, there are plenty of treatment options available, including orthodontic braces and aligners. The simple solution to the ailments that can come from crooked teeth is simply to straighten the teeth.
A straight smile is a healthy smile. Ask yourself if you suffer from any of the following issues:
– Misplaced midlines are malocclusions that arise when the center of your incisors fails to properly line up with the center of your lower incisors.
– Some malocclusions consist of overcrowded teeth. In this case, there is not enough space between each tooth, causing overlap amongst the teeth, with bends and curvatures often taking place. Spacing issues can also refer to too much space between the teeth, which can cause unbalanced shifting among the teeth.
– Underbites, also called bulldog teeth, consist of the lower incisors protruding our further than the upper incisors.
– Deep bites, also called closed bites, consist of extreme forms of overbites in which the lower incisors bite into the area behind the upper incisors.
– Crossbites are malocclusions that arise when the lower jawbone protrudes further out than the upper jawbone.
– Overbites, also called upper protrusions, overjets, or buck teeth, consist of the upper incisors (front teeth) protruding our further than the lower incisors.
– Open bites are malocclusions arising from disconnected top and bottom incisors when biting down.- Many other types of malocclusions include extra or missing teeth, various types of rotation issues, and transposition malocclusions.
If you have a misalignment issue and are looking for orthodontic treatments, you can contact Michael Emanuel DDS PLLC to schedule an appointment with Dr. Michael Emanuel. We can be reached by calling us at 718-336-5005 or stopping by our office in Brooklyn, New York. It’s never too late to save your smile!