Malocclusions, which are more commonly referred to as “bad bites” are the misalignment of the teeth which fit poorly together with the jaw. This dental condition has a variety of causes, many of which are often out of one’s control. For a look at what kinds of malocclusions might be affecting your smile, let’s take a brief overview:
– Misplaced midlines occur when the center of your upper incisors (front teeth) fail to correctly align with the center of your lower incisors.
– Underbites, often called bulldog teeth, occur when your lower incisors protrude out further than your upper incisors.
– Crossbites occur when your lower jawbone protrudes farther out than your upper jawbone.
– Spacing malocclusions occur with overcrowding in the mouth or large gaps between teeth.
– Transposition malocclusions take place when your teeth erupt above the gum line but come in in the wrong place.
– Open bites occur when you have disconnected upper and lower incisors when biting down.
– Rotation malocclusions occur when the teeth rotate out of their proper alignment.
– Overbites, or upper protrusions, arise when your upper incisors protrude farther out than your lower incisors.
To schedule an evaluation at our Michael Emanuel DDS PLLC office in Brooklyn, New York, we invite you to call Dr. Michael Emanuel and our team at 718-336-5005. We are ready to help you with all of your alignment needs!